Thursday, September 17, 2009

Update

I was able to get some much needed rest last night...I was pretty exhausted. The night before I didn't sleep at all. I think it was mostly my nerves that kept me up most of the night but I did start having some contractions as well. Luckily, they were pretty far apart and weren't that intense. So, I was able to wait until morning to have the c-section. At about 9:00 a.m. they took me into the OR and prepared me for surgery. They let Robert come in just before they were about to start. They delivered our baby at about 9:45 a.m. and I had hoped to hear or see him but they took him right away to stabilize him. It was another hour or so before they finished up and I was wheeled into the recovery room. After about an hour in recovery Dr. Lee came in to let us know how the baby was doing. That was when they asked us if we wanted him put on ECMO. He basically said if we didn't have him put on ECMO, he wouldn't make it through the night. So, obviously, the decision was easy. Robert and I wanted to see him before they put him on ECMO, so they put me in a wheel chair and wheeled me over. We were able to get a quick look before the doctors started the procedure. They said we could stay but I couldn't bear to watch my little guy go through that. I know he was sedated and given pain medication so he wouldn't feel any pain but it was still too much to watch.

Both my parents and Robb's parents came by to visit, as well as Robb's sister. We visited with them for a while and then they went to see the baby. After they came back Robert and I went in to spend some time with him. I was surprised to find out that he had my hair color...I thought for sure his hair would be black like Robert' but it's more of a light brown. He was so precious, just lying there peacefully. We were able to touch him but that was about it. I so wanted to see him move or look into his eyes but he was well sedated and will be for a while.

Robert decided to head home and check on Kaycee (our dog) and head back in the morning. I didn't think I'd be able to sleep but I was just exhausted from the events of the day, so I was out. I woke up early this morning and headed to the ICN to see the baby. I spoke with the doctor there and she said that nothing changed overnight. He's still stable and she said they won't make any changes for a couple days. They want to get him used to the ECMO machine and make sure he's responding OK to it.

Later this morning my brother and best friend came to visit and we took them to see the baby. They said he looked strong, like a fighter. :)

Later Robert and I spent some time going through the names we chose. He was looking at his picture and trying to figure out which name fit him best. I think we're getting close...we just want to choose one that's right for him. :)

I just got back from ICN to say goodnight to my little boy. I just pray that he stays strong and finds a way to beat this horrible defect. You have no idea how bad I just want to hold him in my arms and take him home. So, please continue to pray for him!!

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your little boy. I have been thinking of you guys all day. Im glad he is okay and that the ECMO machine is giving him the rest he needs.
    Ingrid Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just come across your blog a few days ago, so I have a lot of catching up to do.
    Congratulations on your son, another CDH fighter. As he rests with the aid of ECMO, he will gain strength to combat this defect.
    Blessing for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the birth of your son! My daughter is a RCDH survivor and she required ECMO her first few days as well. It gives their little bodies a rest while they get used to working their organs. Keep the faith and know that he will beat the CDH monster and come out the other side a strong and cool little man!
    Love and prayers,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were able to get some rest and that baby Serna is resting, healing and stable on ECMO right now. You are in a fantastic place to provide care for him. Continuing to pray for you, Robert and especially for your baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys - what can we do to help you guys out right now? Can we send you a care package at the hospital? Send you dinner? Check on Kaycee for you? Name it and we'll do it!! I am sending all 3 of you hugs - I wish I could come see you, but I've got a nasty cough, so I plan to keep at least 2 counties between us for now. We are thinking of you and praying for you. Do make sure you keep getting your rest - if you're rested, Baby Boy will know it and feel it. You guys are amazing parents already!! Call us if you need ANYTHING. Love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chelsea and Robb:
    Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy! I'm sure he has a fighting spirit and he feels all your love. Greg and I are praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your in great hands. Please let us know if you need anything. We are close by. Continuing to pray for your little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the birth of the little guy! I pray that EMCO will be what he needs to start healing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep up the good work Chels. Being the mom to a NICU baby is the toughest job in the world. Sending lots of prayers.

    ReplyDelete