Tuesday, September 15, 2009

NST Scare

I had an NST at Kaiser today and Baby Boy Serna gave me a little scare. First of all he was extremely active...which is usually a good thing but when he stopped moving around his heart rate didn't go down as it should. It was staying steady at around 190 (normally his baseline heart rate is anywhere from 130 to 160), so to say the least I was a little concerned. His heart rate stayed this way for about five minutes and then went down a little bit when he started wiggling around again. Then he got the hiccups and the monitor wasn't reading the heart rate very well. When the nurse came in I asked her about the high heart rate and she told me she would show it to the doctor. The doctor was also a little concerned, so I was asked to check into Labor and Delivery to have the heart monitored there for a while. She said they wanted to monitor the baby there so that they are prepared in case anything happens and I need to deliver. So, that statement alone scared the crap out of me. If anything did happen, I can't deliver at Kaiser, I would have to go to UCSF and I made sure to let everyone know that. Anyway, after about 40 minutes of monitoring at Labor and Delivery his heart rate was fine. His baseline was at about 150 with lots of movement. I guess he just likes to keep things interesting. I think he's getting a little restless. Only 6 more days, buddy...hang in there! :)

3 comments:

  1. Glad that everything settled down for you and the baby and you were able to go home! That must have been scary for you! Praying that he will stay nice and comfy in there for 6 more days without any more scares!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying hard for you all and anxiously awaiting his arrival---but I can wait six more days! Keep us posted...

    ReplyDelete
  3. your posted scared me too. I remember telling Kaiser the same when they said if I go into labor to check in with them because UCSF is too far for me. I said absolutely not! Anyway I am so glad your little guy is ok. He is already showing us he does things on his own time. Praying for you and your baby. Six more days! Get lots of rest now because you wont get a wink at UCSF. call me if you need anything

    ReplyDelete